F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault ReconEdit
The standard issue weapon for Replica soldiers, the G2A2 has a zoom feature and is more accurate than the RPL Submachinegun. It has a decent-sized drum magazine and good stopping power, making it an excellent defensive or offensive weapon. Overall, it is one of the most well rounded weapons of the series.
F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and F.E.A.R. Perseus MandateEdit
With the introduction of many new, and much more powerful, weapons and tougher enemies in the expansion packs, the G2A2 Assault Rifle plays a lesser role, especially in Perseus Mandate, with the introduction of the VES Advanced Rifle and other more potent weapons. G2A2 is ill advised to use because of its inferior firepower. However, the G2A2 remain in Extration Point as a versitile and common weapon.
The G2A2 is arguably the most balanced weapon in terms of damage, range, and accuracy. It is very versatile, and can be used to take on lesser enemies or moderately difficult Replica soldiers. At mid-range, this weapon can be used very effectively, dispatching unarmored enemies in five to six shots. While zoomed in, picking off targets at a distance is more than practical, thanks to the longer barrel making it more suitable at farther distances. The G2A2 has wild recoil while zoomed-in, so remember to fire in bursts especially fighting foes at mid-range.
- The aesthetics of the G2A2 are based mainly on the Heckler & Koch SL8, a civilian version of the G36 that is available as a semi-automatic or straight-pull bolt action rifle, though the F.E.A.R. version is a fully automatic assault rifle. The magazine is a smaller version of the 100-round double drum "Beta-C" magazine used by the MG36 (and occasionally used by the M4), the infantry-support version of the G36, and the rear sight is an M14-style aperture rather than the flip-up adjustable sight of the real weapon.
- In the F.E.A.R. demo, the G2A2 had an immense recoil, though the recoil is decreased in the retail version. In Extraction Point, the recoil of G2A2 is slightly increased.
- The G2A2 cannot be fired in semi-automatic, it will fire in 3-round burst if the trigger is tapped once at a time.
- Besides the RPL Submachinegun, the G2A2 is the primary weapon issued to SFOD-D units, although in Perseus Mandate, the Delta operators are issued with the ASP Rifle also.
- In F.E.A.R. 3, an updated version of the G2A2 designated as the G3A3 Assault Rifle appears. This new version has an EoTech Holographic optic instead of just a simple ironsight that allows the player to snipe the enemy at medium distances, but it is limited to a 3-round burst fire mode.
- Though the drum of the G2A2 is quite small, 45 rounds fit in it nonetheless.
- The player doesn't actually change the magazine when the gun is empty; the player instead operates a bolt on the side of the gun to rotate the three-magazine mechanism mounted on the receiver. The magazine seems never replaced when NPC reloads G2A2 as well.
- While not as part of their standard issued weapon, G2A2 is seen used by Nightcrawlers in Interval 02 in Perseus Mandate.