The user can hold up to five M77 Remote Bombs at a time. When thrown, they will attach to any surface, including an enemy's body, and can be detonated freely by pressing the button of the remote. Holding the remote requires that the weapon being held at the time be put away, but the remote can be used offensively to melee an enemy.
F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault ReconEdit
The M77 Remote Bomb is the most powerful explosive in F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault Recon. It is best used against heavy enemies, large groups of enemies, or for clearing rooms. This weapon should never be used when the enemy is close to the Point Man, due to the large area of effect. This weapon will not detonate automatically if it hits an enemy.
F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and F.E.A.R. Perseus MandateEdit
M77 Remote Bombs also appear in the two non-canon expansions, and serve the same function as in the first game.
- Interestingly, although the M77 will only detonate when pressing the button on the remote or being shot, the bomb will instantly detonate when thrown into an active Scarecrow hole like other throwable explosives, or rarely if the player throws to an area that is deep enough, the bomb will go off itself as well.
- The detonator itself can be used as melee weapon, it can kill regular soldiers in one or two hits.
- The M77 has no counterpart in the later F.E.A.R. games.
- Though the bomb is remote detonated, with all of the bombs found in the games, there is never a remote to be seen alongside them, meaning the player is automatically spawned with a remote when one of the M77s is picked up.
- The detonator is the only melee weapon in the game, the other being Unarmed Attacks.