The word Psionic refers to any paranormal power of the mind not gained through magic, and is a prevalent factor in the F.E.A.R. series. In this world, there exists Psionics, individuals whose minds are as deadly as all weapons available in Fairport.
Alma Wade serves as the prime example of a negative-effect Psionic and a quasi cannibal psychic. She is the apex psionic of Project Origin, while Paxton Fettel, the second of the two prototypes, is trained as a psychic commander in Project Perseus, controlling the cloned, elite Replicas. The F.E.A.R. Point Man is the first of the two Origin prototypes, exhibiting inhumanly superior reflexes that, once in effect, turn him instantly into an ultimate killing machine while the world goes in slow motion around him, reducing even the brightest and most advanced armies into nothing more than gory, bloody remains and corpses in a matter of seconds.
However, these inhuman reflexes aren't without unwanted side effects: the Point Man is mute and shows few emotions (however, he is not homicidally insane like his brother), and at some point, the Point Man suffers constant hallucinations, some of which can actually damage him, in addition to swarms of malevolent spirits coming after him, both in hallucinations and reality.
- Slow-Mo - Once activated, the user's firing and movement speed increases two-fold, while the world around slows down by a factor of five.
- Telepathy - Alma can cause hallucinations in others' minds seemingly at will, and speak directly to them without needing to be physically present as well as control others' minds.
- Liquify - Alma's primary psionic attack, this ability can melt any target's flesh off, leaving only a charred, blood-drenched skeleton behind. Given that the remains often give off smoke or steam, this is most likely related to her pyrokinetic abilities.
- Summon Nightmares - Alma can summon these fragile but malevolent creatures, usually in large swarms, from the depths of her mind on the target, both in hallucinations and in reality. She is unable to use it in reality until she is let out of the Origin Facility by her father. This is very similar to her ability to create Scavengers in F.E.A.R. 3.
- Pyrokinesis - The ability to control fire, generally used by Alma, as her presence is typically "accented" by flames.
- Telekinesis - Levitates certain objects nearby and/or at the absence of the user's presence. Fettel uses this ability to lift enemies and suspend them in midair. If he casts it on the Point Man, it will create a shield of protection against enemy fire. In F.E.A.R., boxes and other objects are shown moving seemingly of their own will, sometimes tumbling off of shelves, likely responding to the presence of Alma and Fettel.
- Possession - Fettel can enter others and control their bodies for a short span of time. The possession of someone always leads to the death of the person being possessed.
- Thunder Clap - Fettel can deliver a shockwave that kills every enemy within a certain radius. This ability can only be performed when the Point Man uses Slow-Mo and Fettel uses a melee attack.
- Mind Synchronization - Alma has the ability to synchronize her mind with her youngest son, referred to as a "Synchronicity Event." This allows Fettel to see her thoughts and memories, as well as granting Alma the ability to manifest in his presence and control him to some extent.