The word Psionic refers to any paranormal power of the mind or body and is a prevalent subject in the F.E.A.R. series. Psionic individuals are those whose minds are as deadly as any common weapon.
Alma Wade serves as the prime example of a negative-effect psionic and a quasi-cannibal psychic. She is the apex psionic of Project Origin, while Paxton Fettel, the second of the two prototypes, is trained as a psychic commander in Project Perseus, controlling the cloned, elite Replicas. The F.E.A.R. Point Man is the first of the two Origin prototypes, exhibiting inhumanly superior reflexes that, once in effect, turn him instantly into an ultimate killing machine while the world goes in slow motion around him, reducing even the brightest and most advanced armies into nothing more than gory, bloody remains and corpses in a matter of seconds.
However, these inhuman reflexes aren't without unwanted side effects: the Point Man is mute and shows few emotions (however, he is not homicidal like his brother), and at some point, the Point Man suffers constant hallucinations, some of which can actually damage him, in addition to swarms of malevolent spirits coming after him, both in hallucinations and reality.
Observed Psionic AbilitiesEdit
- Enhanced Reflexes: Certain psychic individuals (e.g. Point Man) have exhibited superhuman reflexes that allow them to act with vastly heightened speed and agility. While earlier F.E.A.R. games and material claimed the Point Man's heightened reflexes resulted from invasive surgery performed by Armacham Technology Corporation when he was an adult, it is suggested in F.E.A.R. 3 that his superhuman reflexes are the result of his relation to his mother, Alma Wade, and being born with psionic capabilities.
- Telepathy: Alma could cause hallucinations in others' minds seemingly at will, and speak directly to them without needing to be physically present.
- Mind Control: Alma was able to apply psychic influence onto the minds of others. Alma was shown enthralling Harold Keegan and causing him to wander into the abandoned Still Island nuclear power plant. Additionally, Fettel telepathically took command of a battalion of cloned supersoldiers.
- Psychic Illusions: Derived from her mind control, Alma could create realistic mental illusions, forcing her victims to perceive what she wanted. Alma usually used this technique to cause dread in the minds of her vicitms, subjecting them to horrific visions from her own warped perspective.
- Mind Synchronization: Alma, most likely stemming from her telepathic abilties, had the ability to synchronize her mind with her youngest son, referred to as a "Synchronicity Event." This allowed Fettel to see her thoughts and memories, as well as granted Alma the ability to manifest in his presence and control him to some extent.
- Telekinesis: Alma and Fettle could both psionically levitate and manipulate matter to varying degrees. In F.E.A.R., boxes and other objects are shown moving seemingly of their own will, sometimes tumbling off of shelves, likely responding to the presence of Alma and Fettel.
- Thunder-Clap: Fettel can deliver a psychic shock-wave that kills every enemy within a certain radius. This ability can only be performed when the Point Man uses Slow-Mo and Fettel uses a melee attack.
- Psychic Flame Manipulation: Alma was able to control and create fire out of pure psychic energy; her mere presence was typically "accented" by flames.
- Liquefy: Alma's primary psionic attack, this ability can melt any target's flesh off, leaving only a charred, blood-drenched skeleton behind. Given that the remains often give off smoke or steam, this is most likely related to her pyrokinetic abilities.
- Psycho Warping: Throughout the F.E.A.R. video game series, Alma Wade is masterful at warping reality via her psionics on a metaphysical level. For example, she can cause illusions that are actually real, and she can create her own personal reality known as the Almaverse.
- Personal Reality: Again, Alma Wade had created her own reality within her mind known as the Almaverse, but over time, it began to spill into the real world.
- Summon Nightmares: Alma can summon these fragile but malevolent creatures, usually in large swarms, from the depths of her mind on the target, both in hallucinations and in reality. She is unable to use it in reality until she is let out of the Origin Facility by her father. This is very similar to her ability to create Scavengers in F.E.A.R. 3.
- The exact source of psychic powers is not explicitly known. Paxton Fettel and his brother, the Point Man seemingly inherited their own psychic abilities from their mother, Alma Wade, suggesting a genetic link as an explanation for psychic powers.
- However, as both Alma and Fettel's psionic abilities extended to the spiritual level, allowing their spirits to return as psychic spectres, suggest a spiritual connection for their powers.