- "''Want a piece of me? Come on mother fuckers!
- - Steve yelling at Shades"
F.E.A.R.: Perseus MandateEdit
Introduced in F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate, Chen is the second member of the secondary F.E.A.R. team. A wisecracking soldier, Chen seems to possess a well-rounded skillset, which includes combat, forensics, and technical expertise. Chen meets a fate similar to his F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point counterpart, Douglas Holiday: approximately halfway through Perseus Mandate, he is jumped by several supernatural enemies while the player is unable to do anything to help him. Though momentarily victorious, he is soon violently dragged into the ground by a Scarecrow and is torn apart by the creature, in a way foreseen by the Sergeant earlier in the game. The Sergeant can attempt to save Chen, but he dies regardless, and the Sergeant is left holding his severed arm.
Later, Chen appears several times to the Sergeant, often leading to hidden weapons or other useful items. His body is twisted and one of his arms is missing in his first appearance, but as the game progresses, his visage becomes more untarnished, and he only appears in rooms clean of soldiers and monsters. When the Sergeant and Captain David Raynes board the evac helicopter at the end of the game, Chen is found sitting on one of the seats, waiting for them. As the helicopter takes off, he slowly disappears.
Chen is a selectable character in the Perseus Mandate multiplayer.
- Main article: Steve Chen/Quotes
- It is possible that as phantom Chen's progressively cleaner appearance represents his separation from Alma's grasp.
- Although Chen uses a G2A2 Assault Rifle in Intervals 01 and 02, he uses a RPL Sub-Machine Gun in Intervals 03 and 04.
- Though Chen is equipped with a RPL Sub-Machine Gun during the first half of Interval 04, he can briefly be seen with a G2A2 assault rifle before being attacked by Shades. When the pipe falls to the floor to allow the player access to the next area and in all of his phantom appearances, he will be equipped with the RPL again.