The Type-7 Particle Weapon is a particle beam-based sniper weapon found in F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault Recon, F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate. When the beam hits a target, it will strip the target's flesh and armor, leaving behind only blackened skeletal remains and whatever weapon the enemy was using.
F.E.A.R. First Encounter Assault ReconEdit
F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate and F.E.A.R. Extraction PointEdit
Despite many new weapons added in the expansions F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, the Type-7 Particle Weapon still remains as one of the most powerful weapons. Its ammunition even less common in the expansions. The Type-7 is no longer exclusive to enemy snipers in these expansions, as some elite infantry units and Heavy Armors may carry it as well.
The Type-7's high quality zoom and very high power makes it the ultimate long range weapon. One shot will kill any non REV6 Powered Armor, Replica Elite Soldier or Heavy Armor in one hit, however, enemies on higher difficulties will more likely to survive the Type-7's energy bolts, leaving them with just a little health left. This high-damage attribute makes it very useful for destroying groups of enemies from a distance. Even against strong enemies or Power Armor, it is very effective and it is a handy weapon to have at all times. While the Type-7 has a small magazine size, its power means the player will be able to wipe out a group before they have to reload. However, the Type-7 needs decent accuracy from its user to work. Normal enemies struck by the Type-7's beam will leave a burnt skeleton, though sometimes it will turn the enemy into a cloud of blood and pieces of flesh instead.
Ammo for this weapon is uncommon, so it should not be used as a primary weapon. However, ammunition for this weapon becomes somewhat more common the closer the player gets to the Vault.
- When held, the Type-7 slows down the player's movement by a noticeable amount, so the player should be aware of its speed penalties when used.
- At range, Type-7 is superior than any weapon the player will find, this is an ideal answer to Replica Snipers, or engage the enemy from afar.
- It is advised to not fire multiple shots during Slow-Mo, as the weapon's short charge-up time in between shots will be considerably longer while in Slow-Mo. Moreover, the recoil per shot is quite high in Slow-Mo, thus causing inaccuracy.
- The low rate of fire should be taken into consideration, as players will struggle in engaging groups of enemies in close proximity with the Type-7. Unless the player can keep attacking and evading assailants, it is more wise to take out one target at a time in longer distances.
- The Type-7 is a good backup weapon in fighting REV6 Powered Armors if the MOD-3 Multi-Rocket Launcher is not available, it takes about 10 rails to destroy one with Type-7 alone (on High difficulty). The REV6 will be beaten faster if explosives, such as the N6A3 Fragmentation Grenades, are also used.
- In the first game, the player will find the Type-7 is more common after Interval 07, because the Point Man will lose his weapons in Interval 10, he can feel free to use it, but use with the Type-7 with caution is still recommended.
- On High or Extreme difficulty, if an instant kill is needed, go for headshots, this does not apply to Heavy Armors or Power Armors, however.
- Although the player normally face enemy Type-7 users at long range, its possible to see Type-7 being used aggressively by enemies in Perseus Mandate, player should target them first as they can do a lot of damage.
- If the player can find more than one Type-7 in the same area, its advise to use the ammo glitch that give the player 15 more rounds for each pickup.
- In the expansion packs, using this weapon against Replica Elite Soldiers and Nightcrawlers will make this weapon less useful, as it will normally take 2 hits to kill (1 with headshot). Type-7 is even more difficult to use against Nightcrawler Elites, due to their increased reflexes, if the player managed to make the shots count, however, it takes 5 to 7 hits to kill.
- Despite classified as Particle weapon, the Type-7 is technically a Plasma railgun.
- It is not clear on how the scope of the weapon is activated. Apparently, the Point Man/Sergeant zooms in without activating any other (known) operational mechanism of the Type-7.
- The scope has a range finder, the only weapon in F.E.A.R. and its expansions to possess such a function.
- It is also not understood on how exactly this weapon is reloaded. The Point Man is not seen inserting any magazine but he is seen "pulling" a bolt on the top of the weapon at the end of the reload sequence. Furthermore, by looking at the Point Man's shadow when reloading, no magazine is ever inserted into the weapon.
- For some reason, the Type-7 used by enemies rarely kills the Point Man in one shot (assuming he has 100+ health), and yet, the Type-7 is extremely powerful. This is probably due to balancing reasons, to make the game less frustrating.
- The Type-7 can instantly hit/kill enemies, even while using Slow-Mo. Often times, it's so fast that most victims can't even scream or groan in agony unlike when they are killed by other weapons. Although in some cases, a few targets are able to yell in their final moments.
- When zooming in, there is a sound akin to using the scope of ASP Rifle. Interestingly, when zooming back out, the sound plays twice.
- Zooming in with the Type-7 takes somewhat longer than using the scope on the ASP rifle, which is instant, though the difference is not that much.